The Shepherdstown Opera House, one of the nation's oldest movie theatres, first begin showing films in 1909, drawing crowds from afar to see the flickering silent films accompanied by the obligatory piano player and a Moler pipe organ. The first theatre in the area to make the transition to sound, the Opera House began showing "talkies" in 1928 and operated continuously until 1958, when it was closed and abandoned. It sat vacant and neglected until buyers Pam and Rusty Berry completed a two-year renovation and reopened the historic theatre in 1992. Once again, the Opera House sparkles with life, using the finest projection and sound systems available to entertain a new generation with the best movies being made today. Current owner Larry Cumbo has added live music into the mix, hosting musical artists like Dr. John, the Hillbilly Gypsies and Peter Rowan on the Opera House stage.